The number one request I get is for recipes that are quick and easy. Well folks, it doesn’t get much quicker and easier than this one. It’s so simple, even my junk food junkie man-friend can tackle this recipe. So yes it’s easy, but that doesn’t mean it’s not nutritionally awesome!
This salad has mega brain boosting power. Our brains work overtime, all day, everyday until death do us part. Weighing in at a mere 3 lbs, this hard working organ is responsible for burning approximately 20% of our daily caloric intake. If you expect it to work properly, you have to fuel it properly. So to help you support your little mastermind, I’ve created this super simple salad that requires nothing more than the ability to hard-boil an egg.
Here are a few reasons why your thinker is really going to love it:
Both fish & eggs are great sources of complete proteins. They provide the body with the necessary amino acids for the production of neurotransmitters, the chemical messengers that send signals from one brain cell to another.
Egg yolks rank as one of the highest dietary sources of the important brain boosting nutrient, choline. It supports brain function by maintaining healthy cell membranes and as a precursor for the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, responsible for memory and concentration.
Salmon (anchovies or sardines) is also a great sources of Omega 3 fatty acids, which are an essential component of cell membranes and play a vital role in cognitive function. If you want your brain to run like a well oiled machine, be sure to lubricate it with these beautiful healthy fats.
It’s also a great combination of protein, carbohydrates and fats to help balance blood sugar and stabilize your energy for the day. Because I don’t know about you, but I don’t feel too smart when I’m in need of a nap.
- 1 head of romaine lettuce (or greens of choice)
- 1 handful of green beans (approx.20 beans)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 10 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 10 Olives
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced
- 1 Can of Salmon, anchovies or sardines
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- Pinch of salt & pepper to taste.
- In medium saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil over high heat
- Add green beans and quickly blanche until tender (approx. 3 minutes)
- Remove green beans, run under cool water and set aside
- In the same pot, add eggs and reduce heat to medium-low
- Hard-boil eggs for 5-7 minutes (or longer to reach desired doneness)
- Once cooked, run eggs under cold water and set aside to cool
- Combine all other ingredients into a large salad bowl
- Once cooled, peel the eggs, slice into quarters and add to the bowl
- Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl and drizzle over salad